- Be Honest and Trustworthy
- Use my Resources Wisely
- Respect Myself and Others
- Recognize and Use my Talents and Abilities
- Protect Our Common Environment
- Live with Courage and Strength
- Share in the Sisterhood of Guiding
The Brownie Law:
- As a Brownie I am honest and kind;
- I help take care of the world around me.
The Promise & Law are an intricate part of the Girl Guide Program. Our goal ,as Guiders, is to reinforce Girl Guides of Canada's Vision, Mission, and Values by teaching the Promise and Law to Sparks, Brownies, and Guides.
Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada, the organization of choice for girls and women, makes a positive difference in the life of every girl and woman who experiences Guiding so she can contribute responsibly to her communities.
Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada enables girls to be confident, resourceful and courageous, and to make a difference in the world.
The stated values for Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada are stipulated in the Promise and Law.
In our Guide Unit,we aim to learn about one Guiding law per weekly meeting. As the Guides arrive and gather in their Patrol groups they are given a law to discuss. Our Guides made a circuit tester file folder activity. This activity is a fun way to help the girls to remember the laws.
The Guiding Law Song is a great tool to help us remember all those laws! I had first learned the lyrics to this song in 1996 and usually refer back to it when challenged to remember the laws! It works for me!
Guide Law Song
(words and music by Brandis Purcell) (source: "Celebrate With Song", Girl Guides of Canada, 1995.)
- I challenge myself with the Guiding Law
- To be honest and true
- To be wise in the use of resources I have
- To respect myself and others too
- To know and to use my gifts and skills
- To protect our common world
- Live with courage and strength
- And to share in the joys
- Of the Guiding sisterhood!
The Circuit Tester activity is suitable for Brownie age girls too. I did this activity with the Brownies in 2007 and they really enjoyed making it.
Any topic would work with the Circuit Tester activity.
It is always great to reuse old ideas!